Financial Controller, Bleach of Lavant – £65,000
Established in 1921, Bleach of Lavant is a successful UK mainland, road freight transport company specialising in delivering horticultural plants, pallets and general haulage. The business now has a turnover of c£14m and around 100 staff. The current finance director is planning to retire, thus creating an opportunity for a financial controller to join the team with a view to a directorship in the future. Heading up the accounts department of two accounts staff, the position reports to the managing director.
You will be responsible for all aspects of accounting, company secretarial and business administration, ensuring reporting and compliance deadlines are met and that the managing director and chairman are supported in decision-making by sound financial control.
Key duties are:
- Overseeing purchase ledger, sales ledger, and credit control to ensure the accounts team maintain clean ledgers.
- Liaising effectively with customers and suppliers.
- VAT returns and all other HMRC compliance.
- Production of monthly financial statements, P&L and balance sheet with analysis and commentary.
- Reporting, budgeting, and forecasting with variance analysis.
- Working with external accountants regarding year-end and audit.
- Manage other business support functions such as IT and insurances.
- Data management and accounting system improvement / development.
- Managing the accounts team with all related performance and HR issues.
- Ensuring accurate payroll submissions to the payroll bureau.
Our ideal candidate for this pivotal role will bring the following qualifications and attributes to the table:
- A qualified ACCA, ACA or ACMA accountant or with an equivalent level of commercial SME accountancy experience.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Proof of success, stability, and progression with previous employers.
- Well-organised, efficient, self-motivated, professional, business-like, proactive, and switched-on.
- Methodical, with an eye for detail.
- A great communicator and team player with good management skills – happy to muck-in and undertake a wide range of tasks.
- Keen to make a long-term commitment.
- Able to provide excellent references.
- Car owner / driver – already living within an easy commute of Arundel.
If this has caught your interest and you are ready for a fresh challenge with a well-respected business, then we would love to hear from you!